SATURDAY -- Martinsville will be filled with Christmas spirit on Saturday. The following is a list of activities:
- 9 a.m.-3 p.m. – 16th Annual Shopping Expo at the Martinsville Community Center. Donuts be available in the morning and a chili/grilled cheese lunch will be available for purchase in the Community Center basement.
- 10:30 a.m.-noon – Holiday Open House at the Martinsville Public Library. All activities are free. Children can have their picture taken with Santa and make a craft while they enjoy homemade treats and will take home a new book from Santa.
- 4:00 p.m. - Jingle Bell Fun Walk/Run – This is designed to be fun time for all ages that's free, with no registration fee. It’s not a race for best time, just a fun, festive walk/run. Although not required, each participant is encouraged to dress in a holiday costume and will receive reindeer antlers, jingle bells and glow bracelet and necklace. Fun treats will be awarded to the winners of the costume competition. The course is only one mile, so bring the family and enjoy the sound of jingle bells and glow lights as you walk/run. (Registration starts at 3:30 p.m.)
- 4–6 p.m., Bring your lawn chair and enjoy all the free festivities at Linn Park, including: free hot dogs, cookies & hot chocolate, music, caroling, petting zoo, crafts for kids (bag reindeer food for Santa’s Team), horse-drawn wagon rides, and bonfire
- 4:30 p.m. – Candy Cane Hunt in Linn Park. Come and see how many candy canes you can find in the park. Free.
- 5:00 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. - Live Nativity Enactment, including a live camel - free
- 6:00 p.m. - Parade of Lights. The parade will travel down Mill Street next to Linn Park, so you can enjoy a front row seat for viewing. Santa and Mrs. Clause will be at the Fire Hall following the parade, so stop by for free cookies and hot chocolate.
Events throughout the day are sponsored by: Martinsville Chamber of Commerce, Martinsville Public Library, Martinsville on the Move/Changing Hands Resale Shoppe, Willow Creek 4-H Club and the Martinsville Fire Ladies Auxiliary.
For information about the Shopping Expo, contact Bonnie Baird at 217-276-6688; activities at Linn Park, call Norma Calvert at 713-865-0022; and questions about the Parade of Lights should be directed to 217-512-9641.