SPRINGFIELD -- The American Red Cross continues to provide critical services to residents in Texas, Louisiana, Florida and Georgia as thousands of people remain in shelters in need of a safe place to stay, food, health services and emotional support. Red Cross volunteers are on the ground across the affected areas and more volunteers will be needed to deploy in the coming days and weeks.
The American Red Cross Central and Southern Illinois Region is recruiting new volunteers to assist with the recovery efforts from Hurricane Irma and Hurricane Harvey. To expedite the process, the Red Cross is offering Just In Time -- a special fast track training for those interested in deploying to help with the ongoing hurricane recovery efforts. The training session will be offered in several locations over the coming weeks.
Just In Time participants will be eligible to deploy following the successful completion of the required training and a background check.
- Saturday, Sept. 16 – County EMA Office Building, 311 Miracle Ave., Effingham, IL
- Saturday, Sept. 16 – Red Cross Office, 311 W. John H. Gwynn Jr., Ave., Peoria, IL
- Saturday, Sept. 23 – Red Cross Office, 3000 N. 23rd St., Quincy, IL
- Saturday, Sept. 23 – Children’s Safety Village, Univ. of IL Springfield, 4521 S. 11th St., Springfield, IL
- Saturday, Sept. 23 – I Hotel & Conference Center, 1900 S. 1st St., Champaign, IL
- Saturday, Sept. 30 – Red Cross Office, One Westport Court, Bloomington, IL
- Saturday, Sept. 30 – Red Cross Office, 2674 North Main St., Decatur, IL
- Saturday, Sept. 30 – Red Cross Office, 1100 River Drive, Moline, IL
- Saturday, Sept. 30 – Community of Christ Church, 100 W. Deyoung St. Marion, IL
- Saturday, Oct. 7 – Red Cross Office, 311 W. John H. Gwynn Jr., Ave., Peoria, IL
- Saturday, Oct. 7 - Children’s Safety Village, Univ. of IL Springfield, 4521 S. 11th St., Springfield, IL
The training session is free, but registration is requested. All sessions are from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. To register, email Laura.Streid@redcross.org or call 309-662-0500, ext. 7428. Please specify which location when you register.
The Red Cross depends on financial donations to be able to provide disaster relief immediately. Help people affected by Hurricane Irma by visiting redcross.org, calling 1- 800-RED CROSS or texting the word IRMA to 90999 to make a $10 donation.
The American Red Cross shelters, feeds and provides emotional support to victims of disasters; supplies about 40 percent of the nation's blood; teaches skills that save lives; provides international humanitarian aid; and supports military members and their families.