Strasburg Legion Auxiliary meets
STRASBURG -- American Legion Auxiliary Liberty Unit 289 President Sarah Wyckoff called to order the April 10 meeting. Those in attendance sang "The Battle Hymn of the Republic." The charter was draped in memory of Jackie Storm, unit member who died March 15.
Liberty Unit 289 was excited to once again submit poppy posters for competition. Fourteen posters were submitted for competition. The first place winners’ posters were sent on for competition. They were: Molly Slifer, fourth grade; Jackson Gurgel, fifth grade; Isabella Gratz, sixth grade, and Hannah Weaver, eighth grade.
Upcoming dates include:
- The 19th District Auxiliary Past President’s Parley dinner will be Wednesday. This is the 19th District’s largest fundraiser for the nursing scholarships.
- The Unit reports are due to the District and Department Chairmen by April 20.
- The Unit members were advised that Kenton Augenstein will be on the May 15 Honor Flight
- The American Legion Auxiliary Illini Girls State local orientation will be May 30, at 6:30 p.m. at the Strasburg Community Building.
- Poppy Day in Strasburg will be on May 25, the Juniors will distribute poppies from 4–6 p.m..
- The Seniors will distribute poppies on May 26 from 7–11 p.m...
- The tentative date for placing the flags at the cemeteries is May 25.
The Service Project for May’s meeting will be art kits for the VA.
Lake Land College and LaunchCode to host informational night
EFFINGHAM -- Lake Land College and LaunchCode will cohost an informational session about the new IT-LaunchCode program on Wednesday 6-7 p.m. at the Kluthe Center for Higher Education and Technology in Effingham.
LaunchCode’s Director of Growth Daniel Fogarty and Lake Land College representatives will share information about the LaunchCode organization, the curriculum and outcomes of the new 20-week certificate being offered in the evenings at the Kluthe Center from June 5 to Oct. 18.
Enrollment in the program is limited. The deadline to apply is May 1 and an aptitude test is required. A practice test, FAQ and list of steps to get started can be found on the High Demand Programs page at lakelandcollege.edu/high-demand-programs.
For more information, contact Bonnie Moore, director to Center for Business and Industry, at 217-238-8260 or firstname.lastname@example.org.