"Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die." -- John 11:25, 26

There is not much time left to get something done in November. Only the rest of today and tomorrow. It seems hard to fathom that we have only one month left in the year of 2017. And so far this fall the weather has been great.

Monday and Tuesday were ever so nice. Well, Tuesday was plenty windy with gusts of 30 mph, but still, it was warm and sunny.

Monday forenoon, as usual, I wrote my community newsletter. I really hadn't planned to do laundry. I had other letters to write and mail to get ready. 

When I got home from picking up hubby I work, I fixed our lunch. We had a fairly decent lunch, which means a lot of dirty dishes. And I lectured myself on how I was to wash all those dishes before my nap!

Well, I took some table scraps out to Holden, the Golden. It was warm and so beautiful! I told myself that I would be silly not to take advantage of the nice day and do laundry. So I went in, winked at the sink and started taking down curtains. I washed the kitchen and sewing room curtains, plus my normal laundry. When I was done, I made a face at the dirty dishes and crashed on the recliner. Ahh! Sweet!

But! Here comes a car. Oh dear! Uncle Joe and Jean Yoder. Well, fine, we like to visit with them. But you know what? I don't think they have ever stopped in that I didn't have a sink load of dirty dishes. I bet Jean thinks I am a lazy housewife. Maybe I am. I do know that I am a tired one!

Anyway, we did have a good visit. And while supper was cooking, I washed the lunch dishes.

Tuesday was another nice day (I thought!). I decided to wash the bedroom curtains and bedding. I let the curtains soak while I took hubby to work. It got really windy, so I was once again glad for my clothesline under the roof on the south side. Even so, it was hard to keep the stuff on the line. 

We had a very enjoyable day on Thanksgiving with our family. Everyone was present except granddaughter Deniece's boyfriend, Jesse. He had gone with his family to Ohio.

After we were seated at the table to eat, after devotions, we did this thing with the word Thanksgiving. Starting with the letter T, then H, and so on, we had to say something that we are thankful for, starting with those letters. 

We also did the dishwashing game. That is always a fun way to get the dishes done.

I was really sorry that Jesse had to miss out, but also respected his wishes to go with his family.

On Wednesday morning, we went along to the airport to pick up granddaughter Mary Lorene and Mikel Yutzy. That was my first time ever at an airport. What a labyrinth! It looked scary to me! We were way early which was fine. We sat in a cell phone parking lot, watching the screen with the flight schedules on it.

Wouldn't you know it, Mother Nature called. And not by cell phone! It was a cold morning and the potty houses had stainless steel seats! Oh my! Was that ever cold! It almost put everything on hold!

We did enjoy having Mikels with us. But was I ever a poor hostess. I didn't hardly have anything good to eat in the house. They went to granddaughter Cynthia and Richard Chupps for the night. Probably in hopes of getting something decent to eat! (Not!)

It's too bad they weren't here this week. We had leftover pumpkin and chocolate pie, leftover bushel pudding.

We had Plank Thanksgiving dinner at sis Louise and Dale Kauffman's. Either we had way too much food or mine just wasn't good. I brought most of it back home.

Do you want to hear our grandson Robert Yoder auctioneer? Go to the Christmas auction at the Arcola Center Dec. 21 at 6 p.m. He should be in real good shape. Or maybe he will just bark! He took puppy dewormer pills by mistake awhile back when he was sick. I don't think he had any ill effects from it.

On Monday we got news that is not pleasant at all. That ugly C-word has invaded our family. Our daughter Cindy has breast cancer. I guess we aren't better than anyone else.

Cindy is married to Freeman Miller and is 44 years old. They live in Dale, IL. They have nine children, ages 23 to almost 2. Their oldest daughter, Mary Lorene is married and lives in New York. Please pray for them.

In closing: Winter is the season when you keep the house as hot as it was last summer when you complained about it being too hot.

Maybe we should start making candy for Christmas.

Million Dollar Fudge

1 (12 oz.) pkg. semisweet chocolate chips

3 (4 oz.) bars German sweet cooking chocolate (cut in pieces)

1 (7 oz.) jar marshmallow creme

2 cups walnut pieces

Combine these ingredients in a bowl, set aside.

4 1/2 cups white sugar

1/8 Tsp. salt

2 Tbsp. butter

1 (13 oz.) can evaporated milk

In a heavy saucepan, combine these ingredients and let set for 5 minutes. Then bring to a rolling boil, stirring constantly for 7 1/2 minutes. Pour at once over chocolate mixture. Stir vigorously until chocolate has melted. Pour into a nine-inch x 13-inch pan. Let set several hours. Store tightly covered. Freezes well.

Millie Otto of Arthur is a member of the Old Order Amish. Contact her by writing to 1584 CR 2000N, Arthur, IL 61911.


News Clerk/Obits

Load comments