"If ye love me, keep my commandments. And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another comforter, that he may abide with you forever. Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you. I will not leave you comfortless: I will come for you."  -- John 14:15, 16, 17, 18

It is such a beautifully quiet summer day. I have a hard time concentrating on my writing. The weather has been absolutely gorgeous. I really think I'd want to just go on a bike ride. I don't know where I'd go. Anyway, I don't have time. I sometimes wish I wouldn't get me in these situations of having dead lines. But it is what it is, I'll deal with it.

The mornings have been decidedly chilly. We even wore coats to go to work. And already, we have to use our lights mornings when we go to work.

But it is still summer. Tomatoes, ripened in the garden, sliced on a slab of home made bread, slathered with mayo and cheese, ummm! Pure summer! And melons and melons and melons. Could it get any better? Yes, if I just had some of my dad's fresh comb honey. But then I would for sure eat way too much bread!

With all this nice weather and I am stuck in the house. But The Quilt is now out of the frame. Yay! I still have to sew the binding by hand. That shouldn't take real long.

Somehow this day started out on a wrong note, in spite of being a beautiful morning. I'm running behind in schedule. For some odd, unexplained reason, this morning I felt like a large and growly bear that was roused way too early from hibernation. Of course, hubby might say it was just normal. But really, not.

My copy machine didn't work properly, spitting out two sheets at a time. Then I noticed that our solar battery charger wasn't working, so I had to call Cadwell Melvin Otto. He came out later and fixed it. It didn't take much.

And even before all that, did you hear me cry? Maybe stomp my feet? I guess I haven't won the roach war. Yet. I still see some when I get a light on mornings. Grrr! I'll keep fighting, maybe eventually I'll win.

Now that the quilt is almost finished, will be by the weekend, I have a ton of stuff to do before I start the next one. That will be granddaughter Mary Lorene Miller's.

I had to get daughter Rachel to mow our yard. I about wanted to cry. It was so nice, I would have loved to be out mowing. Maybe it will still be nice next week. The garden needs attention, as do my flower beds.

I'm pulling out my tomato plants. They are dying, the tomatoes don't ripen nicely, just turn orange and aren't very good. I keep watching my ground cherry plants. I thought some were ripe, then I discovered the husks had tiny holes in them and the fruit was gone. Crickets? Ants? I don't know.

This past Saturday we had a reunion, so I had to split up my cleaning shift. I did some of it, then went out to Otto Center where the reunion was held, had lunch and visited awhile, then went back to cleaning.

My often Saturday morning thing is to get coffee and a doughnut at RoseLen's, but this past Saturday I decided to try something different. I went to Yoder's and got a doughnut sandwich. That was Good! They use day-old doughnuts, split them and make a bacon (or ham, sausage, your choice) egg and cheese sandwich.

The egg was a real egg, not fried to rubber, the center was just a tad soft yet and yes, it was very good. Sweet and salty, you know. If you haven't tried it, you should.

Since I had to split my cleaning, it was later in the afternoon when I got done. Actually late enough that I could go over to the Apostolic Church and get our supper. They had their annual fish fry. I knew their fish were really good. So I got take-out.

We had such a full weekend, I didn't really have time to recharge my batteries. Maybe that's why I felt like such a large and growly bear.

Our daughter Jane and Milton Yoder had church, so we went over there instead of our own district. In the afternoon we went to Husband Erwin's sister Esther and Andy Mast for our monthly Otto gathering. After that we went back to Milton's for supper.

So maybe if I can hang on until next Sunday, I can recharge in the afternoon.

What really helped me this week in getting my quilt done was husband Erwin's sisters, Cora Otto and Irene Miller brought Erwin home at noon so I wouldn't have to leave twice in one day. That helped so much. Thanks, girls!

In closing: Did you know -- five Jello flavors that flopped are celery, coffee, cola, apple and chocolate.

We are glad chocolate didn't flop for cakes. This cake is delicious!

Chocolate Bavarian Torte Cake

1 pkg. chocolate cake mix (w/out pudding in mix)


8 oz. cream cheese, softened

2/3 cup brown sugar

1/8 Tsp. salt

1/2 Tsp. vanilla

2 cups whipped topping

2 Tbsp. grated semi-sweet chocolate

Mix and bake cake according to pkg directions. Bake in 2 9-inch round cake pans. Cool and split in half.

Beat cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and salt. Fold in whipped topping. Spread 1/4 in each layer and sprinkle with grated chocolate. Don't want to grate chocolate? Use chocolate Heath bits. Refrigerate overnight or 8 hours. Whichever comes first.

Millie Otto of Arthur is a member of the Old Order Amish. Contact her by writing to 1584 CR 2000N, Arthur, IL 61911.


Load comments