OAKLAND (JG-TC) — A extinguisher was used to contain and put out a kitchen fire late Sunday afternoon in a house along Illinois Route 133 about a mile west of Oakland.

Assistant Chief Kyley Willison of the Oakland Fire Department said the fire started at approximately 4 p.m. after the occupant of the house, 2263 State Highway 133, forgot that the kitchen stove was turned on and the items on top of the stove caught fire. He said flames engulfed the stove and spread to adjacent cabinets before the occupant was able to extinguish the fire.

Willison said Oakland firefighters were dispatched the scene, where they subsequently removed the charred stove from the kitchen. He said the firefighters also opened the house’s windows and set up fans to clear out the smoke that had spread through the structure. Firefighters were on scene for about an hour.

0
0
0
0
0

Subscribe to the JG-TC

Reporting like this is brought to you by a staff of experienced local journalists committed to telling the stories of your community.
Support from subscribers is vital to continue our mission.

Become a subscriber

Thank you for subscribing

Your contribution makes local journalism possible.

Load comments