Try 3 months for $3

Georgia Frontiere

Georgia Frontiere born in 1927 was an American businesswoman and philanthropist who is best known as the majority owner of the Los Angeles/St. Louis Rams professional football team.

A very astute businesswoman she faced vocal disapproval from fellow owners of the other professional football teams. At the time of her becoming the majority owner of the Rams, all of the other professional football teams were dominated by males.

Georgia had not intended on becoming involved in owning a professional football team. However, when her fifth husband, Carroll Rosenbloom, died in 1997 from an apparent heart attack while swimming off a Florida beach she found herself owning 70 percent of the Los Angeles Rams football team. Carroll’s five children inherited the other 30 percent of the team.

During her years as owner, Frontiere moved the Rams twice, first relocating from the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum in 1980 to Anaheim and then to St. Louis in 1995. The moves were strictly financial as attendance had fallen to 45,000 fans per game.

As the 1990s began, the Rams’ fortunes had sunk very low. Most home games were blacked out, and the team hardly figured into the Los Angeles sports scene. When Los Angeles failed her request to build a new stadium, she moved the team to her hometown of St. Louis in 1995.

St. Louis welcomed the Rams after losing the Cardinals franchise to Phoenix, Arizona in 1988. The Rams struggled for the first few years in their new home, but in the 1999 season, the team lead by coach Dick Vermeil and an undrafted and former Northern Iowa quarterback Kurt Warner, defeated the Tennessee Titans to win Super Bowl XXXIV.

Throughout her career, Frontiere was devoted to a range of philanthropic causes. Speaking of Frontiere’s endeavors, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said, “Her philanthropic work was legendary and wide-ranging.”

Diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007, Frontiere spent the rest of the year undergoing treatment, but her condition rapidly deteriorated and she died in UCLA Medical Center on January 18, 2008. She was 80 years old.

Frontiere should be remembered not only by turning a failing professional football team into a winner, but on giving millions of dollars to charity in both Los Angeles and St. Louis.

Subscribe to Breaking News

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.
0
0
0
0
0

Load comments