Telecare, a Coles County Council on Aging (CCCoA) Program-Located at your LifeSpan Center Charleston sponsored by the CCCoA, a not-for-profit charity, announces updates and events for the month of April.
New 2019 Medicare EXTRA HELP and MEDICARE SAVINGS PROGRAM: Income/Resource Limits Announced
The Medicare Extra Help and Medicare Savings Program income and resource eligibility limits have increased for 2019. The expansion of these limits may now mean that you may qualify for the Medicare Extra Help (Low-Income Subsidy) prescription drug benefit and/or the Medicare Savings Program (MSP) benefit, if you meet the income and resource levels below in 2019.
The Medicare Extra Help Program assists with paying for the costs of monthly premiums, annual deductibles, and prescription drug co-payments related to a Medicare prescription drug plan (Part D). The 2019 Medicare Extra Help income/resource limits to qualify are as follows:
- Single Person – Gross income less than $1,561/month and resources less than $12,890* (*Add $1500 if claiming burial allowance per person)
- Married Person – Gross income less than $2114/month and resources less than $25,720*, living with spouse and no other dependents (*Add $1500 if claiming burial allowance per person)
The Medicare Savings Program consists of three distinct benefit levels and assists with paying for some or all of the costs of monthly Medicare premiums, annual deductibles and coinsurance/co-payments related to Medicare expenses based on approved level of benefit. The 2019 Medicare Savings Program income/resource limits to qualify for each program benefit level are as follows:
- Qualified Medicare Beneficiary (QMB) – If eligible, this program may pay Medicare Part A & B premiums, deductibles & coinsurance. Maximum gross monthly income for a single person is $1,041 and for married persons $1,410.
- Specified Low Income Beneficiary (SLIB) – If eligible, this program may pay Medicare Part B premiums. Maximum gross monthly income for a single person is $1,249 and for married persons $1,691.
- Qualified Individual (QI-1) – If eligible, this program may pay Medicare Part B premiums. Maximum gross monthly income for a single person is $1,406 and for married persons $1,903.
The 2019 resource limits for all three Medicare Savings Program benefit levels are $7,730 for a single person and $11,600 for married persons. Additionally, there is a State of Illinois $25 income disregard that can be added to each monthly income allowance.
If you think you may qualify for Extra Help or Medicare Savings Program benefits, the Coles County Council on Aging Telecare Program at your LifeSpan Center can assist you with filing the application. Contact the Telecare Program at your LifeSpan Center Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at (217) 639-5166 if you would like to make an appointment to see if you are eligible and/or to apply for these Medicare cost saving benefits.
The LifeSpan Center is located at 11021 E. County Road 800N, Charleston. The telephone number is (217) 639-5150. The numbers for the programs are as follows: Coles County Telecare -- (217) 639-5166; Family Care Giver Resource Center -- (217) 639-5168 and Dial A Ride -- (217) 639-5169 or 1-800-500-5505. See you at your LifeSpan Center.
Come join us each weekday at noon for “Lunch at LifeSpan.” Peace Meals are served Monday through Friday at a suggested donation of $3.50. To register, reserve a lunch or learn more, contact Peace Meal at (217) 348-1800.