CHARLESTON — Several mobile homes, 19 lots and oil rights in six locations are being offered in Coles County's annual delinquent tax property auction.
The mobile homes and other property are being auctioned because the property taxes on them haven't been paid for long enough for the county to take legal ownership.
The county conducts the auction each year with the goal of trying to return the property to the tax rolls. Buyers will be responsible for future taxes but not those that are past due.
The auction has taken place each year since 1993. It's conducted by sealed bid only with a minimum bid of $845 on mobile homes and $810 on other property.
Bids are due at the county treasurer's office at the Coles County Courthouse in Charleston by 4:30 p.m., the end of the business day, on July 12.
A catalog listing property offered along with bid forms and more information about the auction is available for $5 online at www.iltaxsale.com.
According to information in the catalog, county officials and auction organizers urge people who are considering bidding in the auction to visit and view the property beforehand.
There are 83 different mobile homes offered in the auction. They are in various locations in Charleston, Mattoon, Ashmore, Oakland, Lerna and rural Gays.
The auction also includes to the oil rights on six property parcels in Mattoon Township.
Here is a list of the other property sites, all vacant lots unless otherwise noted.
- West side of 11th Street south of Van Buren Avenue
- Quincy Avenue at the southeast corner of B Street
- 327 N. Seventh St.
- Williamsburg Drive at the east end near the intersection of Village Road
- 516 N. Sixth St.
- 3 E St., with one-story frame house
- The rear of 150 W. Jackson Ave.
- 313 N. 16th St.
- 1013 Champaign Ave.
- 1512 N. 10th St.
- 414 N. 23rd St., with one-story frame house
- 3105 Commercial Ave.
- 702 S. 21st St.
- 1101 S. 18th St., with 1 1/2-story frame house
- 33 N. 35th St.
- 109 W. Lincoln St.
- Burtner Drive east of Walnut Street
- 102 Third St.
- Hickory Street west of Morgan Street