Coles County to get $408,246 for housing authority
U.S. government

Coles County to get $408,246 for housing authority

  • 1
Tammy Duckworth

U.S. Sen. Tammy Duckworth speaks during a Senate Transportation subcommittee on commercial airline safety, on Capitol Hill, Wednesday, March 27, in Washington. 

MATTOON — Coles County housing authorities are among the Central Illinois agencies receiving a portion of the $21 million in federal funding for the development, financing and modernization of public housing properties.

The Coles County Housing Authority will receive $408,246. The agency operates 178 units that serve about 400 residents.

Funding is allocated through the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development's Public Housing Capital fund.

"Children and families in need across Central Illinois rely on investments like these that help improve housing conditions and reduce homelessness," U.S. Sen. Tammy Duckworth said, in announcing the funding with U.S. Dick Durbin. "Along with Sen. Durbin, I'm proud to advocate for federal funding to support programs that foster safe communities and help sure all Illinoisans have access to the affordable housing they need to get ahead."

Also getting funding are housing authorities in: 

  • $71,487 — Champaign County
  • $164,148 — Clark County 
  • $183,074 — Cumberland County 
  • $578,429 — DeWitt County 
  • $409,602 — Edgar County 
  • $214,995 — Effingham County 
  • $129,497 — Ford County 
  • $562,985 — Livingston County 
  • $357,486 — Logan County 
  • $183,725 — Piatt County
  • $211,929 — Shelby County 

"This federal funding gives local agencies in Central Illinois the ability to offer safe and affordable housing to those who need it most. In addition, the local economy stands to benefit from this investment in infrastructure projects that will bring safety and modernization to the area's public housing," Durbin said. "I will continue to fight alongside Sen. Duckworth to support safe and affordable housing options for Illinoisans."

The money is coming from HUD's public housing capital fund. It can be used for addressing code compliance issues or replacing obsolete utilities and equipment.

Contact Kennedy Nolen at (217) 421-6985. Follow her on Twitter: @KNolenWrites


Get Government & Politics updates in your inbox!

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.


News Alerts

Breaking News