Try 3 months for $3
Mattoon Rent-A-Center sign damaged by fire

Mattoon firefighters hose down a section of an outdoor sign that was damaged by fire at the Rent-A-Center, 301 Lake Land Boulevard.

MATTOON -- The outdoor sign at the Rent-A-Center in Mattoon was damaged by a fire late Thursday morning.

Capt. Shane Diepholz of the Mattoon Fire Department said firefighters were dispatched at 11:30 a.m. to a report of a sign on fire at the Rent-A-Center, 301 Lake Land Boulevard.

He said the fire crew that arrived at the scene found that fiberglass-like components within the sign were burning.

Diepholz said the firefighters were prepared to pull down the burning sign, but the sign ended up falling to the ground on its own.

They used their hose to cool down the fallen sign and its metal support structure and cleared the scene at 11:48 a.m.

The cause of the fire appears to be electrical in nature, Diepholz said. Firefighters found that the Rent-A-Center circuit breaker switch for the outdoor sign had been tripped, he said.

Subscribe to Daily Headlines

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.
0
0
0
0
0

Reporter

Rob Stroud is a reporter for the JG-TC, covering the city of Mattoon, Lake Land College, Cumberland County and areas including Oakland, Casey and Martinsville.

Subscribe to the JG-TC

Reporting like this is brought to you by a staff of experienced local journalists committed to telling the stories of your community.
Support from subscribers is vital to continue our mission.

Become a subscriber

Thank you for subscribing

Your contribution makes local journalism possible.

Load comments