Charleston Fire Department firefighters investigate a fire in the attic at 1800 Reynolds Drive on Wednesday morning. The fire department indicated the fire was caused by an electrical problem.
CHARLESTON — An electrical problem was the apparent cause of a fire in the attic of a Charleston residence Wednesday morning.
The resident at 1800 Reynolds Drive reported light smoke inside the house about 9:10 a.m. Wednesday, a news release from the Charleston Fire Department said.
Fire crews found no fire upon arrival, but roofing workers said there had been sparks at the main electrical connection into the house, the release said.
Fire crews then found a burned wire and smoldering insulation in the attic, according to the release. The investigation also led to the discovery of multiple burnt wires in various places throughout the home, it said.
It was determined that the main power feed shorted and caused an electrical surge, according to the release. It said there was minimal damage to the house’s structure but the home’s resident is staying with a relative because of damage to the electrical system.
The release said fire crews were at the scene until about 11:30 a.m. Wednesday. The Charleston Fire Department received assistance from Charleston police, the city Building Department, Coles-Moultrie 911 and Ameren Illinois.
According to the American Red Cross, house fires are more likely to happen during the winter, and especially the holidays.
12 photos of Charleston locations from our archives
Wilb Walker Supermarket
1988: Dyalene Haworth shows the ease of using E-Z Shopper grocery cart at Wilb Walker Supermarket.
1980: Charleston square.
North Park house before renovation
1986: Jean Carpenter of Charleston has received a grant to repair her home. A $350,000 grant from Illinois Department of Commerce and Community Affairs will be used to renovate about 40 homes in the North Park neighborhood.
North Park house after renovation
1986: Jean Carpenter on porch of house after renovations.
1988: At Mother's in Charleston grandmother winks at the patrons who come to wet their whistle. Mothers is a tavern which is known to just about every Eastern Illinois University student.
1931: The Jefferies building was gutted by fire late Tuesday night. On left is the Winters' clothing store store with the Charleston Hotel office next on the north, than a vacant room recently vacated by the Huckleberry jewelry store, wit the Rogers drug store on the corner.
1986: Pat Kaiser plans to open his nine-hole golf course by Memorial Day weekend if Mother nature would cooperate.
Eastern Illinois Artist's Guild
1941: A permanent exhibit of Paul Turner Sargent's work has been opened by the Eastern Illinois Artists' Guild at 809 Jack St. built in 1831 by Dr. Aaron Ferguson it is said to be the oldest house in Charleston.
1986: Downtown Charleston has been designated as part of that city's tax increment financing district within so-called blighted areas of their cities.
Coles County National Bank
1992: Coles County National Bank declared insolvent and sold to the Eagle Bank and Trust Co. The Missouri based trust company owns banks in three other Illinois towns, Sparta, Nashville and Highland.
1978: Osco Drug and Eisner food store soon to open at Charleston Plaza Shopping Center. The two stores will occupy 40,000 square feet in the center. A 2,000 square foot Radio Shack store is already open. Another 2,000 square foot store will be occupied by the Book Emporium to open later this year. A total of 9,000 square feet remains to be leased in the center.
1971: Yearly production estimates for the new Celotex Corp. plant north of Charleston is about 130 million square feet of insulation boards.