MATTOON -- A fire that started in a garage Wednesday morning spread to a home on North 10th Street in Mattoon.
Fire crews responded to the fire at 1305 N. 10th St. at 5:18 a.m. Wednesday to find heavy fire in the garage, according to a Mattoon Fire Department news release.
The family had already evacuated the residence and there were no injuries from the fire, according to the fire department.
The cause of the fire hasn't been determined but was possibly because of a problem with a heater in the garage, fire Chief Kris Phipps said.
The fire extended into the attic space and into the interior of the house, the news release said. It said fire crews cleared the scene just after 9 a.m. Wednesday.
The Charleston Fire Department, Mattoon Police Department and Ameren Illinois utility crews assisted with the fire, the release said.