{{featured_button_text}}

MATTOON — A fire caused by a resident making candles on a stove damaged a room at a public housing unit near Peterson Park in Mattoon on Saturday morning.

Fire damage was limited to the kitchen of the apartment at the Coles County Housing Authority unit at 90 Prairie Ave., according to the Mattoon Fire Department.

Residents relocated after Charleston garage fire
Keep reading for FREE!
Enjoy more articles by signing up or logging in. No credit card required.

Residents of the unit were evacuated to the building's lobby and remained there for about an hour while smoke was cleared, the department indicated.

The fire was reported about 11:40 a.m. Saturday and was in an apartment on the unit's fourth floor.

Man gets prison for latest Coles County drug conviction

Get local news delivered to your inbox!

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.
0
0
2
0
0

Reporter

Dave Fopay is a reporter for the JG-TC who covers Coles County, the local court system, Charleston schools and more.

Subscribe to the JG-TC

Reporting like this is brought to you by a staff of experienced local journalists committed to telling the stories of your community.
Support from subscribers is vital to continue our mission.

Become a subscriber

Thank you for subscribing

Your contribution makes local journalism possible.

Load comments