Subscribe for 33¢ / day

MATTOON (JG-TC) -- An unattended candle was the cause of a fire Sunday evening that damaged a house on South 15th Street.

Assistant Chief Sean Junge of the Mattoon Fire Department said firefighters were dispatched at approximately 6 p.m. Sunday to 921 S. 15th St. and they contained the fire to the bedroom where the candle was left unattended. He said they extinguished the fire and cleared the scene by 8:06 p.m. No injuries were reported.

Junge said the fire damage was mostly limited to the bedroom, but there was smoke damage throughout the house. He said the house is temporarily uninhabitable due to the smoke damage and to the house not having power following the fire. He said the family of three that resides in the house has found alternate accommodations.

0
0
0
1
0

Subscribe to the JG-TC

Reporting like this is brought to you by a staff of experienced local journalists committed to telling the stories of your community.
Support from subscribers is vital to continue our mission.

Become a subscriber

Thank you for subscribing

Your contribution makes local journalism possible.

Load comments