Mattoon house fire

Mattoon firefighters clear smoke from a house at 3013 Richmond Ave. A mail carrier reported a fire after hearing a smoke alarm going off in the home.

MATTOON -- Firefighters extinguished a house fire along west Richmond Avenue early Tuesday afternoon after a mail carrier noticed smoke emanating from this structure and called 911.

Shift Captain Sean Junge with the Mattoon Fire Department said the passing mail carrier heard a smoke alarm sounding from within the house at 3013 Richmond Ave., investigated the noise, and then saw the smoke.

Junge said the arriving firefighters found light smoke coming from the house, entered the structure, and found a fire in the utility room. He said they extinguished the fire, vented the smoke from the house, and cleared the scene by 3:08 p.m. A Mattoon Fire Department backup unit was dispatched to the scene as a precaution because the call involved a structure fire.

Keep reading for FREE!
Enjoy more articles by signing up or logging in. No credit card required.

"Luckily, the fire was contained to the utility room itself," Junge said.

The house was unoccupied at the time and no injuries were reported, Junge said. The fire appears to have been caused by an electrical malfunction within the utility room, he said.

Get local news delivered to your inbox!

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Contact Rob Stroud at (217) 238-6861. Follow him on Twitter: @TheRobStroud



Rob Stroud is a reporter for the JG-TC, covering the city of Mattoon, Lake Land College, Cumberland County and areas including Oakland, Casey and Martinsville.

Subscribe to the JG-TC

Reporting like this is brought to you by a staff of experienced local journalists committed to telling the stories of your community.
Support from subscribers is vital to continue our mission.

Become a subscriber

Thank you for subscribing

Your contribution makes local journalism possible.

Load comments